Tuesday, August 21, 2007

BIRD MAN



The thing that I like about this piece or pieces is that I am not sure if it was done by the same person. Hear me out sista, at first glance the two elements, the hand and the pigeon, interact so seamlessly that I didn’t question that they were done by the same person. But as I was drawing I realized that the hand could be the most clever/radicoolest cover up I have ever seen.

Consider this, when most graf artists cover each other up, they simply paint over one another, masking what was once there. Here we have an artist who has realized that successful art is art that is engaged with it’s medium. In this case, instead of slapping paint over the pigeon stencil, someone has decided to respectfully behead it.

Now I could be totally off my mark; the same person could have done both pieces. But that is an answer that at this point in my life I don’t that I am not ready for

Location : Sports L.A. parking lot, 7753 Melrose just east of Fairfax.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

ThomasThomasThomasthomas
new posts new posts new posts new posts!
LLLLLLLLAILAAAA

Stefanie said...

i was trying to think of another art form where the "cover up" -- either completely or integrating new material into pre-existing work (which you speculate about here) -- is present beside tattooing. The most difficult tattoos are those that have to incorporate the undesirable tattoo into the new design. If this was done by two different artists, it's indeed mighty "radicool". art work that evolves over time, involves multiple artists, and is frequently viewed by people that aren't particularly seeking out an "art" experience is pretty damn interesting.