Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Thanksy Banksy



This is the first installment of an ongoing restoration project entitled, OPERATION EAGLE CLAW: A.P.T.L.B. (All Poopie Tags Left Behind) where the illustrations I do, do not include mediocre tags on or around said art object.

You know that when you had articles run in The New Yorker and The New York Post, not to mention, a fairly extensive Wikipedia page, that you have hit some sort of world populous saturation. Banksy is the undiable Grande Meal of street art, with a publishing deal with Random House and stencils that are treated more like religious relics then senseless acts of vandalism, he has taken stenciling and street art to a whole new level of acceptance.

The Banksy tag popped up around the time of his Barely Legal show last September. When I spotted the graf, I am not going to lie, I was a bit star struck, entertaining the idea that Banksy had invaded that empty lot and painted the side of that white truck. The interesting thing with this Banksy tag is that it is just a tag, no rats, no queens, nothing even mildly smirk inducing. Only shameless self-promotion and for this reason I am sort of into it. Not that I support shameless self-promotion in any way shape or form, in fact I detest such a thing, but for the Nancy Boy from across the sea, I’ll accept it.

Location: Between Clinton and Kent on Alvarado, on a white truck parked in vacant lot on the east side of the street, in Echo Park 90026.

3 comments:

Toni Magic said...

Nice Title

;*) WINK!

Felipe said...

Isn't that just the truck that was outside his show in LA last year? I had always just assumed that it had been abandoned in said lot after the show...

TOMMY HAWKS said...

I am almost positive that this is not the same truck that was at his show. The truck I remember at the show was the police truck with his famous police men kissing stencil on the back.